Saturday, September 6, 2008

If we don't get this election right, I'm Leavin!!!

It's safe to say, I'm completely engrossed in this upcoming election. What an exciting time for the good ol' USA. I've regained all of the faith I've lost in the last 8 years. Finally, a candidate that inspires me! Finally someone I can really root for! If we don't get this election right. I'm leavin!!

Here's a little background of my political views. I liked Ronald Reagan, the elder George Bush, and Bill Clinton (took me a couple of years to warm up to him though). In 2000, when it was time for Clinton/Gore to leave office, I figured the natural progression (and the common sense move) would be to elect Gore for President. Problem being, the Republicans did a great job of tarnishing the legacy of the Clinton/Gore years. Instead of focusing the election on all the great things accomplished economically, and through foreign policy, somehow the conservatives focused America's narrowmindedness to Bill and Monica. While I strongly disagree with having an extramarital affair (Or as Bill would say, it depends on what your definition of cheating is.), Bill's abuse of power is quite similar to the allegations facing Sarah Palin (Republican Vice Presidential Nomination). Sarah is alleged to have a high ranking police official fired, because he wouldn't fire a trooper who was going through an ugly divorce with Palin's sister. She's also a woman who preaches abstinance, meanwhile her 17 year old daughter is 5 months prego. While we're on the topic of family/moral values, let's not leave John McCain out of it. Read this about his first wife, who had his first 3 kids, and waited at home for him while he was in a POW camp for 5 years http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1024927/The-wife-John-McCain-callously-left-behind.html .. Good stuff huh?

No, Al Gore wasn't the guy you'd want to have a beer with (George W. Bush) , but the country was at an all time high. And I figured, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I guess I was wrong, because somehow despite collecting more votes, Al Gore lost. What's frustrated me most about the last two elections is who Gore lost to. How could we elect (twice) a man who can't speak our language? Now, I'm no wordsmith, but I also don't stutter and invent vocabulary in mid-sentence. I strongly believe in seperation of church and state, so you can see my frustrations there. The last 8 years have really soured my opinion of the republican party. The inability of the Democrats to come up with a suitable canidate was equally deflating. John Kerry? Really? How could they nominate him and Gore, back to back? Could you imagine if they televised a conversation between those two guys? I'd rather scratch my eyeballs out. No thanks. I heard, when McCain was in the POW camp, they forced the prisoners to watch Kerry and Gore debates as a form of torture. True story. Google it, I dare ya.

That all leads us up to today. The community leader, turned senator Barack Obama vs. the longtime senator, and former POW John McCain. Pro choice, cut taxes for 95% of the population, end the war in Iraq ASAP vs. Pro life, increase the gap between the upper and middle classes, possibly keep US troops in Iraq for 100 years. One thing that's undeniable in this election is that we NEED CHANGE. What you must ask yourself before casting that ballot is, who's better equipped to bring change? Someone who's looked at Washington for 26years, or a relative newcomer with a his own idea of how the landscape in Washington should look? Someone from a farm in Kansas who became the first black president of the Harvard Law Review, or someone who graduated from his naval acadamy class 894 out of 899. Who's better for this enormous clean-up job? I think it's obvious. History has shown over that last 8 years, dumb presidents MESS EVERYTHING UP... Just wait until the debates, you'll see.. Grab your popcorn, now THAT's must see TV!

1 comment:

Serena said...

You seem wise, man's man. I can't wait for more entries in the ol' blog :)